20 November 2012

Beer and Cheese - October-ish

Chances are, if you are in the Beer and Cheese club, you've already picked this month's allotment up and hopefully enjoyed it. Here's what we thought.



Kristin wrote:


The Chaource sat in a labeled wood cup, for lack of a better word, with the label attached directly to the rind. I loved the delicate presentation. Once the rind was cut through, it was a mixture of gooey creaminess on the outside and a more solid interior. I immediately went for the creamy side, spreading it on a piece of baguette. It was incredible. The temperature was just right...the taste was buttery and mild, with just the right amount  funk on the end. I reached for the beer...

The beer paired with the cheese was Etienne Dupont Cidre, a cider. The nose was sweet - I expected a very typical, sweet cider. But with my first sip...it was an incredible surprise. Tart, yet cellar-like...clear, but funky. It matched perfectly with the Chaource. In fact, after a few rounds of cheese, beer, cheese, beer, I couldn't have imagined one without the other. It was a perfect pairing. Bravo to this french duo! 

Meg wrote:

I am not picky when it comes to cheese, except the stinky cheeses....I have not developed a palate for them. I was a little leary showing up for my first Beer & Cheese club at Goose the Market.  What would I do if it was the moldy, crunchy, stinky cheese?!  Luckily, we sampled a lovely Chaource (shah-OORSE) cheese from a cheese dairy in the Champagne region of France.  Made from cows milk, it reminded me a bit of brie, a creamy almost melty texture around the outside, and a more firm texture near the middle.  It was mild, a little nutty, and almost earthy. 




To join the Beer and Cheese Club at Goose the Market (in conjunction with Hoosier Beer Geek), check out this PDF and then either call Goose the Market at 317-924-4944 or stop in the shop at 2503 N. Delaware St.

No comments:

Post a Comment