30 September 2007

Roundtable #29 - I'm moving to Holland / Beer Diary

Ok, you know where we were and what we tried so I'll just get to the review...

After my warm-up of 60 minute, we drank the Quadruple from Brouwerij de Koningshoeven. This beer was absolutely spectacular. Though it has a high ABV, it really didn't smack you in the face with it. I agree with Mike that it kinda smelled like grape soda, and I love Jim's caramel covered fruit reference, I think that serves the beer very well. At one point, during conversation, I looked at my glass to take another drink and it was over half gone and I was a little sad. 5 mugs.

Other beers I've had over the last few weeks:

Brugge Brasserie - The Black. This started with a little bit more alkaline taste than I remember, but then it warmed to all of its malty splendor. This beer makes me excited to drink beer all over again. The taste is creamy and flavorful without overpowering your senses. This is definitely in my top 5 and probably in my top 3.

Lakefront Brewery - Cherry Lager. Though it is called a fruit beer, I didn't initially get much of a fruit nose or taste. I did find that after it warmed just a little, I did get a bit of sour cherry flavor. It reminded me of a fizzy sparkling soda.

New Holland Brewing Company - Black Tulip. I've heard some good things about this beer, but I don't think that I agree. The smell was pleasant with a strong alcohol nose, but it tasted like a gym sock marinated in a Belgian beer.

Lion Brewery - Lion Stout. Mike and I picked this up on our Jungle Jim's trip. This was based on the recommendation of the beer guy at the store. The label says to enjoy it with spicy food, so we thought it would be a good one to bring along to the pre-game tailgating party where Jason made some fantastic chili. The beer was great, and indeed went well with the chili. It was very dark, chocolaty, and had a very full mouthfeel.

No comments:

Post a Comment