26 August 2007

KOTBR #26 - The Retro Beer Challenge Round One (Kelly's Review)


I have such a soft spot in my heart for the Melody Inn. I really do. Everything from the driftwood chandelier, to the excellent graffiti in the restrooms, to the floor that is perfect for roller skating, to the three-layers-deep bumper sticker collection on the cooler, to the ever-lovable Dave behind the counter, to their unwavering support of local music, gives me a fuzzy feeling inside (though I'd never admit it on Punk Rock Night!) If you've never been here, you should give it a try.

Round One of the Retro Beer Challenge found us pulling up a booth at the Mel long before most regulars settle in for the night -- it was a bit disconcerting to see sunlight streaming in through the front window, since this is definitely a watering hole for night owls.

With the help of our esteemed groupie Matt, we conducted the tasting in short order. Jim, Mike and Gina have already posted their findings, so I'll bring up the rear:

Beer A: basic "beer yellow" light golden color. More of a fruity, sweet nose than I was expecting; almost cotton-candy-like with a very carbonated, 'poppy' taste. A pleasantly surprising beer that I could see myself drinking when it was very hot outside (we were drinking these nearly ice cold). 2 mugs.

Beer B: No difference in color at all. Hardly any nose to speak of, and what was there was sort of a musky, grassy scent. A bit hoppier, it seemed to have a more balanced taste and a cleaner finish than the first one. 3 mugs.

Beer C:
Same color. No nose at all, save for a faint smell of gym socks. The most watery of the three, almost sour. I think I made the Mr Yuk Poison Control face on this one. .75 mugs.

Final Rankings:


Beer B - 3 points
Beer A - 2 points
Beer C - 1 point

No comments:

Post a Comment