27 April 2007

Indy's Best Kept Secret - Shallos

Excellent Roundtable tonight - the best we've had for a while, and maybe the best we've ever had! We had a blast, and lots of good conversation. We met up at Shallos in Greenwood, and let me just say, their beer menu is simply to die for. As a matter of fact, the menu is almost too good, if that's possible. They had 30-something beers on tap, and hundreds more in the cooler. WOW! It got to the point that I simply couldn't choose a beer and had the waitress bring me what she thought was good. It was like being a mosquito in a nudist colony - I knew what to do, but I just didn't know where to begin! (I can't quite remember what movie that line came from). Hands down, Shallos gets 5 mugs for their beer selection. It's got to be the best in the city. And I never even got to look at the import side of the menu!

Jim Schembre of World Class Beverages joined us tonight to talk about all of the exciting things WCB is doing and has planned. He really stressed their Beer Finder system on their site, so if you're ever looking for a beer and want to know who is carrying it, check it out. It's updated daily! Thanks, Jim, for coming out with us tonight - we learned a lot, and we look forward to drinking with you in the future! And thanks for the kick-ass calendars!


I started off tonight with a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. And while I had other beers throughout the evening, I never really got past this one. If you don't know, Dogfish 120 is considered the Holy Grail for Hopheads. This sumbitch is - wait - 21% ABV!! 21%. I really don't know what else I can say about it. Maybe my eyes bulged out and my face turned blue. The Dogfish 120 has the highest ABV of any beer I've ever drank.


We were supposed to launch into the Bell's Hell Hath No Fury for a review - and we did - but you will find no review from this Knight of the Beer Roundtable about this beer. Now, Bell's describes this beer as "A brew that gives you either sympathy for the devil or the courage to face him. Goes especially well with your favorite lost my girl/truck/dog/trailer song." All I can tell you is that it was dark and good. After the 120, I really couldn't taste that much anyway.


So there you have it. You HAVE to check out Shallos, but I would be careful with the Dogfish 120. I'll give it 5 mugs based on ABV, but I can't really remember what it tastes like!

2 comments:

  1. WELL, a city slicker came and he said "I'm tough...I think I'd like to taste that powerful stuff..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. He took one slug and he drank it right down, and I heard him a-moanin' as he hit the ground.

    VIVA EL POSSUM!

    ReplyDelete